Monday, December 9, 2013

Monday

150.4 this morning, which may be what it was on Saturday morning, if I recall correctly.  It was up a pound yesterday, and now back down.  Whatever.

So, after a third night of bad sleep, I went back to the honey on Saturday night.  Some improvement then, and last night was hugely better.  Both nights, I dropped off so quickly that I hardly recall being awake at all.  Last night, I slept in a state of floppy relaxation until 3:25, when I woke up thinking it must be approaching morning, checked the time, turned on something on my iPod and went right back to sleep.  Woke again at 5:10 after a dream in which I was doing a cattle call audition for a part in Guys and Dolls, for reasons I cannot explain - couldn't in the dream, either.  Anyway, the first night in a long time (even with the honey) that I wasn't awakened with hip pain.

I spent much of yesterday cooking.  Egg custards for breakfasts this week, eggnog (FINALLY NAILED IT!!!), almond flour shortbread (they're frozen in a log at the moment; I'll slice and bake them tonight), and coconut flour muffins.  I think the muffin recipe has hit on the perfect ratio for working with coconut flour - 6 eggs, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup melted butter, and 1/2 cup other liquid. I added amaretto (not enough), dried cherries, and hunks of 70% cacao chocolate), and the results rose perfectly, browned perfectly, and are seriously delicious.  I'm going to use that same ratio for some orange-cranberry bread for Christmas morning.  I also think it could be the perfect batter for making Paleo fruitcake (none of that neon-green citron crap, but with currants, raisins, apricots, dried cherries, and nuts - tell me that doesn't sound amazing).

Here's yesterday, which was busy:
  • tea with cream
  • scrambled eggs with cheese
  • bacon
  • ham
  • pork BBQ (shredded and sliced)
  • cole slaw
  • BBQ sauce
  • one dark chocolate coconut almond
  • ham
  • baked sweet potato with butter
  • pumpkin pie innards (no whip cream)
  • 1/3 of a muffin, to see what they tasted like
  • 1 tsp honey
Tasty, if a bit pork-centric.  We have ordered our Turducken for Christmas dinner - with Creole stuffing (the trinity and andouille sausage are involved, I know). I made the pie innards on Saturday, and they are wonderful - I think it's better with Grade B maple syrup than with sugar.  And the eggnog is just sweet enough, and with the addition of Rum flavoring extract (I'd guess actual Rum would work as well), I finally found the missing taste that turns it from custard into nog.

A very good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment