Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday

Sleep was better last night - didn't wake up until just before 5:00 and went right back to sleep until the alarm went off.  Nice!  Just before bedtime, I read an interesting article by a guy who had twice experimented with a month-long period where they didn't use artificial lights at night - candles only.  He noticed in the summer that he had a couple of sleep-debt payback nights, and then settled nicely into an 8-hour rhythm.  In February, his family went into a 14-hour bi-modal sleep pattern, with 2 hours of "quiet wakefulness" followed by 4 hours of sleep, repeated once, and wrapped up with a final 2 hours of quiet wakefulness.  

I have two nights by myself next week, after Lee leaves for New Orleans.  And I'm going to do reading and what-not by candlelight, after 7:00 pm both nights.  Because they saw results immediately, and I would also like to see that.  In my case, it'll probably be sleep-debt payback, but even that seems like a really critical thing to do.

149.0 this morning.  I am rather pleased.  Eating yesterday was 67g Protein (25%), 82g Carbs (30% - eek!), and 54g Fats (45%).  Not the balance I would like to hit regularly, but it was damn near a fast day, wrapped up with Mexican food, so I'm not complaining.  Here's the breakdown:
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • a bag of beef jerky
  • 3 clementines
  • chips and salsa and guacamole (we left chips in the basket)
  • beef fajitas without tortillas
  • rice
  • one chocolate cherry almond thing
That was it.  Ate breakfast today - with 4 pieces of bacon instead of two - and we have a work party tonight, full of finger-food.  Salads before we go.  But I think I've got a handle on things - I'd got into the habit of snacking on nuts and so forth, and have simply been eating way too much.  Will be keeping things under control until next Thursday, at least, and should be fine for the ballgown.  And I think I can handle life on the ship, armed with this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment