Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday

Wow - two days away from home, eating in restaurants, and I lost 2.4 pounds!  Nice!  Here's what we ate yesterday, as I recall it:
  • scrambled eggs
  • bacon
  • sliced tomatoes
  • tea with cream
  • sliced cheddar cheese
  • smoked sliced turkey with mustard BBQ sauce
  • iced tea
  • cole slaw
  • raspberries and blueberries with whipped cream (just a bit of sugar and vanilla in it)
  • walnuts
  • gruyere
Saturday was similar, although I did have lunch on Saturday:
  • bacon
  • sausage
  • strawberries
  • cottage cheese
  • tea with cream
  • wendy's double cheese, no bun (note to self - must explicitly request a fork for this)
  • NY Strip steak
  • steamed veggies
  • salad with blue cheese dressing
  • creme brulee
And Friday, I made it through the Harry Potter movie with no popcorn.  Lee bought some milk chocolate covered almonds and I had a few of those, but nothing else.  I was vastly helped in this not eating by the woman in the row in front of us, who had a belly hanging over her jeans that shook much more than a "bowlful of jelly" - it appeared to be filled with a slightly viscous fluid - a bit thicker than water, but not much.  Really disgusting to look at.

We are thinking (early days yet) of doing the Whole 30 program.  For me, it would mean eating at home for nearly all meals, cooking more middle-tier ingredients (like mayo), and swearing off the dairy.  That last thing would be the absolute hardest for me, since I eat cheese so much, and use heavy cream to swap for most of my former-carb calories.  The reason I'm thinking it might help is for Lee - he still suffers from a bad set of allergies and sinus issues, and they are NOT going away with our Archevore/Paleo eating approach.  So if we were to eliminate all inflammatory foods for a month, I'm hoping he could see some improvement in those areas - as well as breaking his plateau a bit.  It's still in the thinking stages yet - I would want to test out some dairy alternatives and he's going to have to get his head around avoiding sweeteners of all sorts for a month - if we get to a solid plan for it and actually do it, I'll definitely report out. 

The garden is starting to produce - and how!  We've picked 3 huge bunches of raspberries - each about twice what comes in those little plastic boxes at the grocery store.  A few blueberries - a good start there, anyway.  And the tomatoes took off while we were gone - we have one ripe one in the kitchen, and lots to follow.  I think I should actually be able to freeze some fresh tomato sauce this year.  And make pickles - 4 cucumbers picked so far, and more to come.  They seem very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment