Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Back from Vacation

All in all, I do think we tried to eat well - and mostly succeeded.  But 10 days on the road, eating restaurant food, is murder no matter what.  Lee thinks he drank more beer during this past weekend than he had the entire previous year - I was probably right there with him, although I didn't have as much as he did - but then, I'm not a huge beer fan.  We also ate seafood more often than normal for us - since we were right there with it and it was fresh.  I find that I rather like Red Snapper - and I had some scallops as well that were very good.  Things I can eat here, I think, a bit more frequently.

But there was also the night we arrived and had dinner with a friend at his restaurant - a pizza joint.  Total Fail.  Not much one could do, really.  We ate bread.  And it tasted pretty good.  But man!  The next morning we were both stiff and sore and felt awful - inflammation, I think.  That, and walking around the Naval Academy and the city of Annapolis, probably, with legs more used to sitting than standing.  A whole lotta fish, and the stiffness went away pretty quickly.

We did a lot of meat-based meals, bunless burgers, and the like.  As I said - we ate pretty well.  But Lee says he's up 6 pounds.  And me?  I'm up about 6 - 148.8 this morning (Ugh!!!).  I think some of it is water - I got badly sunburned on Saturday morning and have been really swollen up as a result.  Which reminds me - coconut oil may work for an overcast couple of mid-day hours in Cheyenne, but the sunny day in Virginia Beach totally killed it.  I'm sure I got a lot of Vitamin D, but not in the right way - and I'm still paying.

Cheese and salami in the cooler worked pretty well - except when we had to put the cooler in the car and park it for a few hours - it didn't run during those times.  We brought way too much salami and had to toss it, which was a bummer.  I can say that we avoided buying food from truck stops this trip - and that is a very good thing.  Walnuts were good - and we did hit Trader Joes (anywhere there is one, we go) and got some more dark-chocolate-what-have-yous - probably ate more of those than we should have.

So, back to eating normally again.  Braised short ribs in the crock pot this morning, and I mean to pull a pork tenderloin from the freezer to thaw overnight for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment