Thursday, November 11, 2010

Well, that's a bit better

Fasting works.  I got rid of quite a bit of the gained water over the course of the evening/night, and have more-visible ankles this morning.  Down by 1.4 pounds, to 148.2 this morning.   I'm not all the way there, though - my shoes are still tight.

Had a good dinner last night - 2 grass-finished hamburgers and zucchini parmesan.  The latter is an adaptation of a pasta recipe well-beloved around my family; for me, at least, it is possible to substitute thin-sliced zucchini ribbons (just using the vegetable peeler) for the pasta - and cooking the "noodles" is much quicker, maybe a minute or two at most.  So it's made by boiling the zucchini noodles with a bit of dried onion, draining them, and then adding butter, sour cream, parmesan cheese, and parsley to the hot pot, making a sauce.  The results are very tasty.

I can taste the most minor difference in the grass-finished beef from the corn-fed, but I actually prefer the grass-finished taste, so far.  I need to read up some more on the benefits, since the price is so much higher.  I like that the fatty acid profile is closer to fish, and think that it's being anti-inflammatory-er is a good thing, but what I don't know is if we are truly suffering from inflammatory things.  And I've read that beef, as a ruminant, somehow negates some of the grain-fed badness, but I haven't learned how, yet.

Unfortunately, the return to sane eating brought the leg cramps back.  I need to find something that will make them go away, without causing the kinds of issues I've been having this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment