Monday, December 31, 2012

Monday

New Year's Eve.  Normally in years past, I'd be thinking of resolutions regarding eating better and losing weight.  And again, this year, not so much.  We'll be doing some tweaks, but we've been tweaking all along, so hardly a resolution.  And I'm trying to figure out how to get some strength-improving exercise going, but if I had to bet, it will not be done at the gym - we just can't get there regularly right now.  

149.2 this morning, but no idea if that's actually an improvement over Friday or not - our scale crapped out on us and this is from the new one.  I think it is, though.  I ate pretty reasonably all weekend.  Not sure I can recall yesterday, but here's what I remember:
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • wine (prosecco and pinot noir)
  • scrambled eggs
  • steak
  • a few fried potatoes - maybe five
  • mint chocolate chip ice cream
  • two raspberries
  • ham
  • green beans
  • chocolate (one almond dark chocolate cherry cluster and one meltaway square)
  • a spoonful of coconut oil
I feel like there might have been more than that, but what the day amounted to was a noon brunch on an empty stomach that left me quite full for much of the rest of the day, and a very light dinner.  I don't recall snacking, but I might have done some.

Bought a copy of the Perfect Health Diet yesterday, while killing time at a bookstore before brunch.  I've always liked their website and the Jaminets seem to be level-headed and sane.  The book is also level-headed and sane, and makes a fairly compelling case for upping carbs a bit, using starches - rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tapioca.  So I'm thinking about making a slight shift.  Not sure if I want to do it now, or after Mardi Gras, though - really don't want to risk the dress not fitting if the starch should add weight initially - apparently, that happens.  In any event, the book got me considering taking coconut oil more regularly, so I added the spoonful last night and had some this morning in lieu of breakfast.  Their principle is, essentially, that if we provide ourselves with balanced nutrition, all the items that we're designed to need, hunger will diminish and we should start overcoming illnesses and what-not.  Makes sense to me.

I am fairly sure I've hit ketosis again - haven't been all that hungry over the past couple of days, which is nice.  I was easily able to sit through Les Mis on Friday without any movie snacks, and didn't miss them in the least.  So I think we're on the right track, basically.

I will be exploring the details of the tweaks I want to make here, before implementing them, I think.  One of the things that helped me so much when I first went Paleo was to have defined what I intended to do before I did it, so that I had something to base decisions on.  Of late, I've been floundering a bit, and it shows, I think.  In general, I would like to improve strength in my arms and legs, particularly, and lean out just a tad.  And nutritionally, I think I need a little less emphasis on the fatty acids and a bit more on plants.  So I'll be thinking through a plan to achieve both of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment